Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Yo, Joe! Er, Joseph!

I'm a child of the '80s, and I grew up during that first generation of deregulated kids' TV that had shows based on toys and product lines like Transformers, G.I. Joe, Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite and all the rest. Well, I just saw the following item in a Christian retail industry e-newsletter:
G.I. Joe creator introduces new additions to Almighty Heroes. When Don Levine created the Original G.I. Joe in 1963, he revolutionized the world of boys’ toys and changed the face of the toy industry forever. With more than $5 billion in worldwide sales, G.I. Joe remains one of the most treasured and collectible action figures in the world. Last year, Levine introduced a new line of action figures called Almighty Heroes, specifically targeted to the Christian marketplace. Continuing on the success of the toy line, this year Almighty Heroes is releasing new action figures: Joshua the Warrior and Joseph, each with their own four-color Bible storybook. In addition to the redesigned Samson muscle suit dress-up for boys, Almighty Heroes is introducing a Queen Esther Dress-Up suit for girls. Another new item to the line is a Goliath blow up bop-bag.

I just looked these up on Christianbook.com, and here are pictures of some of the figures. See if you can guess who they are.




6 comments:

Heather said...

This makes me sad.
Isn't the point of a lot of the stories in the Bible that the people God chose aren't superheroes? They aren't buff (i.e. David). They're people who live in submission to God.
God's the superhero.

Marcus Goodyear said...

Here are my less than witty responses:

1) They can have He-man muscles but they aren't masters of the universe.

2) OK, but can they shoot spider webs from their wrists and save New York City?

L.L. Barkat said...

The last one. Is that Barbie as Esther?

Al Hsu said...

The last one is actually "Deborah the Warrior."

Apostle to Suburbia said...

Oh, you gave it away! I was going to guess #4 was Potiphar's Wife!

Apostle to Suburbia said...

And for the record, those are some damn ugly toys. Not in my house, thanks!